Saturday, August 2, 2008

IT's Here!

Yes I am a Twilight freak. I admit it. Britt is too. we bonded over it when we came to visit in June. the truth be told, I have been hooked on the twilight series since it came out. Buying the books as they were released, pretending they were gifts for younger people, when in all honesty, they were for me. Kinda like going into a cool record store and buying the Jackson 5 album and trying not to make eye contact with the clerk. I have managed to get Natalia and Rodrigo hooked as well, oh and 2 girls at the coffee shop my parents and I go to daily because we have no life. Since ann rice stopped writing of Vampires I needed something vampiric to read in it's place. Vampire novels are like a sucurity blanket for me for some reason. Or maybe because thats the kind of man I need, pretty, never have to cook for him, scared of the sun, and sleeps during the day so he wont cramp my night life.:) But The long awaited final book in the twilight series came out last night or this morning I should say at exactly 12:01 a.m today. Boarders had a midnight Vampire party for the release of course and stayed open just for this event. Naturally since I am such a flippin nut for the series, I had the countdown posted on my myspace page to remind me, I had it schedualed into my phone, I set alarms all over the house to make sure I didn't fall asleep, I had it scribbled on every calendar in the house, I had it pre ordered at Boarders and they called me to remind me that the book was comming out that evening. I ordered shirts off the internet professing my adoration of the series and wore them proudly for 3 weeks till the event. And then I remembered that Rodrigo was d.j ing at the lost weekend the same night and I was their sober driver for the evening. So Like a good friend I picked Rigo and Natalia up at 8:30 and we went to the Lost weekend and he bagan to d.j. by 11:15 my alarms atarted to go off on my phone. I was kinda trapped, what do I do? I can't leave my friends who are so clearly past drunk that they have started to play sward fights with the pool sticks marking eachother up with blue chalk. I was stuck. drawn by my love of Vampires and the love of my best friends. The friends who came to my wedding, visited me in the hospitle when I had my gall bladder removed, drove me to and from places when my car was in the shop, bought me lots of dinners when I was broke, helped me clean up after a party, saw me through several break ups and have covered for me when I needed them to when I got caught with yet another tattoo when I was only 16, the list gos on and on. So i did the only thing a good friend could do....Appoint a compleate and total stranger to watch them while I drove the 40 miles from Alemeda to Fremont to run in and pick up the book. The guy was just stiiling at the bar doing nothing, so I put on my best girly smile and sweetly begged him to watch my friends. I slipped him $20.00 and promised him I would play pool with him upon my return. When he asked what was so inportant that I had to leave my beloved friends behind for an hour or so, I didn't lie, I told him of my obsession. He gave me the $20.00 back and handed me $40.00 out of his own wallet. Apparently he too is into the series and wanted me to pick the book up for him as well. But with instructions to keep it in the bag so his biker friends couldn't see the book. :) So i was off, telling Natalia that I had to rush home to grab a pair of flip flops because my high heals were making my feet bleed. Sadly it wasn't a lie, but whats a little pain when it comes to fashion and prada shoes right? I rushed out of the bar (limping from the pain might I add) jumped into the pt crusier and took off, I made it to Boarders in record time (even the cops were inpressed) and fell out of the car leaving it running and abandoned my shoes on the seat and bare footed it like a drunk brittany spears in a public bathroom to the front door. It was packed, I have seen a colective group of freaks before ( I do live near Berkely) but WOW. I was breathless, mohawks, fangs, leather, purple hair, ripped jeans, tattoos and peircings galore. I felt at home in my black cocktail dress and bare feet instantly. Until I realized all those freaks were 10 years younger than me. I looked like one of those crazy cheerleader moms who would kill to get their kid on the squad. One of the clearks asked me if I was here to pick up my kid. (before you ask, no I did Not punch her) I looked her in the face and said "yeah like my kids would be able to read." I scooped up 3 heavy books of sheer vampric joy and stood barefoot in line for 15 mins. Busted out my teacher discount card and was on my way back to the bar. By this time my feet were Black and i think I may have stepped in something dead, but I got the books!!!!! I left 2 copies of the book in my trunk and brought the 3rd copy (wrapped in the bag) to strange biker dude at the bar. I gave him his change and counted my friends, I came up with the right ammount of pals so snockered they thought I was only gone for 10 mins when I took an hour and 7 mins. I gave biker dude his book and he left right away. I re-joined my group only to discover Natalia's little 22 year old brother had perposed to his 19 year old gilfriend in my absance! The nerve of some people! Can't they wait for me? LOL (she isn't knocked up, I was inpressed yet so surprised) we decided to go to denny's after the bar closed to celebrate their engagement. I mean honestly, what elese is open at 3 a.m? we were out of classy options plus we are all poor. We ate and my pals sobered up to simi annoying and then I gave Natalia Breaking dawn. She cried more when I gave her the book then when we found out the kid was going to get married. That is how we roll. LOL. I retured my pals to their home and headed home myself limping into my apartment at 4 a.m. I washed my face and began to read. I fell asleep with the book open and on my face around 8 a.m. I woke up at 11.a.m reading more. I put my make-up on while reading, I brushed my teeth while reading, I drove to my parents house while reading (sorry to the old guy in the focus who I nearly side swiped) I started my laundry at my parents house while reading, I drank coffee and played scrabble with them while reading (and still won a game with a 222 score!) I came home and took a bath while reading. I am blogging and reading. I have refused dates parties and my usual taudry night life for this book. I only have 3 chapters to go and now I am so sad it will end. Thank goodness for my anita blake vampire hunter series waiting for me on my book shelf................

5 comments:

Meemer said...

wow, that is impressive! i just answered the phone on saturday morning and found out that the library had a copy for me. thanks sis! so, are you done yet? what do you think?

The black sheep A.K.A Pandora said...

I'm not done reading it yet, I am pacing myself because I hate it when a good series comes to an end. I am on chapter 3 and have cried a total of 5 times in the last 2 hours. I think it's the book, and p.m.s combo. But whatever it is I am trying so hard not o read too much too soon. I had to take a day off of work after I read new moon, I was so devastated. LOL

One Crazy Family said...

Hey I know many good vampire books
I love a good vampire story too

have you ever read-

Sunshine - Mckinnley
blood price, blood lines, blood ties series by tanya huff (my faves)
The women of the otherworld by Kelly Armstrong (lots of creatures not just vamps)
Rachel morgan series by Kim Harrison
City of Bones by cassandra clare
Very good books all of them

The black sheep A.K.A Pandora said...

oh cool, I haven't read any of those, I will check them out when I get a chance. I have been into the anita blake series. Thank you so much Cuz.:)

The black sheep A.K.A Pandora said...

oh cool! I will so check those books out when I'm done with breaking dawn! Thanks cuz!